It’s a wow surprise ingredient that makes this Mango & Tomato Salsa unique and flavorful. And let’s not forget the garden fresh tomatoes. Tell me, who cannot resist this summer treat?
The recipe called for chopped cilantro, of course, right? But I had none and so decided to use my abundant growing parsley. As it turns out parsley is the number one substitute for cilantro followed by mint leaf, papalo (of which I know nothing about and must research), basil and celery leaf.
You see my herb garden has been especially productive this year. With our Texas heat, I have been sure to water every evening. And they just seem to really like it.
I am always on the lookout for in season and reasonably priced fresh fruit. And so when I came across fresh mangoes at Aldi recently for a mere 29 cents each, I loaded up. And by the way if you are lucky enough to have an Aldi in your area do yourself a favor and get to know this no frills but what deals store. They may not be your all-in-one store. But it is certainly worth a trip at least once a month for many staples and special seasonal buys. And when they say cut 40% of your grocery bill they are NOT kidding!
Before I get to my salsa recipe, I want to share with you my new found trick from another recipe I saw. This step just really seals the deals on melding all the wonderful ingredients together. Take a sandwich size bag and to it add your lime juice (or lemon) and then add your fresh chopped herbs. For this recipe it is my parsley. This will allow the fresh herbs to soak up all the wonderful lime juice while you are preparing the other ingredients. Your flavors will get a big jumpstart on coming together and will give your salsa that great flavor you are looking for.
Ok, here we go….ARE you ready to do some CHOPPING?
Mango & Tomato Salsa
- 2 cups diced Roma Tomatoes (or what you have on hand)
- 1 ½ cups diced mango
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (I used bottled because that is what I had)
- 1 Tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Chop parsley and place in a small plastic sandwich bag with the lime juice and apple cider vinegar. Seal and let the parsley soak up the juices.
- Chop the tomatoes, mango and onion.
- Combine your chopped ingredients in a medium size bowl and add the salt, pepper, garlic and sugar. Mix lightly to combine.
- Add the marinated parsley. Gently scoop out parsley from bag with spoon.
- Mix well but gently.
- Refrigerate for about an hour and serve.
This wonderful salsa will keep several days in the frig, if of course you can keep from eating it all at once. This makes a great tortilla chip dip or a wonderful addition to your favorite fish tacos. Let me know what you enjoy this great salsa with. And what did you think about the parsley?